Thursday 9 December 2010

Loughrigg


Having parked under Loughrigg at Ambleside I walked up the steep metalled road to Brow Head and beyond, reaching the open fell. The Fairfield Horseshoe was much in evidence on my righthand side. I seemed to reach the trig point in no time at all, there was a guy from LA on the summit who seemed slightly disoriented. All the lakes and tarns I'd seen were frozen.
I paused to take some photo's of Grasmere on the way down, and eat my butties, hard to tell but it seemed like the temperature was rising as the day went on. I took the path through the woods past Hunting Stile and down onto the Red Bank road, which hadn't been treated at all.
Once in Grasmere, a visit to Cotswold's Rock Bottom had to be made, and a small gear Purchase! My route back to the car was via Penny Rock woods and the west side of Rydal water, then past the stepping stones under Loughrigg back to the car.

2 comments:

  1. Your route descriptions - they seem more like home than home! Maybe there's a lesson for me in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is were the heart is? I've been very lucky to have been "Born and Bred" in Westmorland/Cumbria. Every day I have to pinch myself.

    ReplyDelete