Monday 9 May 2011

Beinn a Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Summit of Beinn a' Chaorainn

        These two Munro's are to the west of Creag Meagaidh, and are really a part of that group. My route today was from the farm at Roughburn on the Glen Spean road. The path leads up through the plantation, eventually finding a fire break, which gave access to the open hill. There was only a thread of a path here and there. It wasn't long before full waterproofs were required and these stayed on all day. The southwest ridge gave easy walking and what seemed quite quickly I arrived at the first top. the summit of Beinn a Chaorainn was seen through the thin cloud which was coming and going. It had cleared when I reached the top, and continued clear over the next top, although the wind was terrific. I descended diagonally across the grassy and mossy slopes to the cairn at the head of the glen. Steep slopes gave access to the northeast ridge of Beinn Teallach, I followed this ridge to a cairn which marked a false summit, I didn't realise this at first in the dense low cloud. Upon reaching the true summit (one of the lowest Munro's) the cloud cleared giving a great view north to the head of Glen Roy, the paralell roads clear to see. The navigation was easy from here, due south from here would do the trick. It was a good job the weather closed in and the rain pounded down for the length of the ridge, only abating as I reached the flats at the bottom of the glen, a short walk back through the forestry and I was back at the car, just as the rain came on again! This was an easier walk than I anticipated, although  of course there's no easy Munro's
Summit of Beinn Teallach

No comments:

Post a Comment