Monday 12 September 2011

Eaves Wood and New Barns Bay

Not the day I thought it was going to be! Weeks ago I had booked today as a days holiday so that I could watch "The Tour of Britain" cycle race, however due to the arrival of the remnants of hurricane Katchia the Kendal to Blackpool stage was cancelled. At 10.30am on Grayrigg common this was entirely understandable, it was all I could do to stand up! So plan B was a walk in the relatively sheltered area of Arnside and Silverdale. I had met a friend Ian here and a modest walk was taken through Eaves Wood, past Arnside tower over the shoulder of Arnside Knott and down to New Barns Bay. The warm moist conditions recently seem to have produced a great selection of fungi. Our return route followed the shore, the wind terrific whipping up huge waves in what is after all an estuary. Field paths and the bottom of Eaves Wood brought us back to our cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment