Sunday 8 April 2012

Cycle ride to Haverthwaite

Ultra Galaxy when first built

Another step along the way towards my cycle holiday in France. Today I felt I should test the new bike with the load I'll be carrying. I have built the bike over the winter, and 300 miles later I'm really pleased with it. The four panniers, barbag and all the gear comes to a total of 13kg. I'm glad the bike's carrying it rather than me! I'm planning on 50-60 miles a day, as I make my way from near Grenoble to Rosas in Spain, via the Vercors, Ardeche, Cevannes and across the Pyrenees. So while many bloggers are heading across Scotland, I'll be cycling across France.
So today I rode from home over to Grange-over-Sands, Cartmel, Cark, Holker and eventually Haverthwaite. I had a brew up and lunch near Roudsea Wood before climbing the monster hill from Low Wood to Bigland. Back home through the drizzle by High Newton, Lindale, Levens and Storth. Just over 55 miles with a good few hills, no problem.
The Ultra Galaxy is a delight to ride, having chosen and assembled every component I feel I'm justified in naming it "Eigenbau"
Ultra Galaxy fully loaded at Roudsea

No comments:

Post a Comment