Sunday 31 March 2013

Kentmere Horseshoe

The view from near  Brockstones in Kentmere to the head of the valley.
 The sun was peaking out between the clouds, sadly this didn't last.

Looking South from just below the summit of Shipman Knotts.
Not much snow on these South facing slopes

North from Shipman Knotts, the way onward over Kentmere Pike

As I started to climb the broad Southern slope of Kentmere Pike the
snow became deeper. These are the drifts at the stile near Rough Crags

Kentmere Pike, and so far I hadn't seen anyone!

The Pennines seemed to be getting some more snow as I reached
Harter Fell. 

I had to use the Ice axe on the descent to Nan Bield, the frozen Small Water
was a distraction below.

Yoke, Ill Bell and Froswick seen from the descent to Nan Bield,
Kentmere Reservoir unfrozen.

The white wasteland that was High Street today. The wind was whipping
across the plateau making it bitterly cold.

Yoke, Ill Bell and Froswick from the wall on High Street.
Not much shelter behind the wall today.

South from Thornthwaite Beacon.

I met several largish parties on the ascent of Froswick. They were
struggling with the wind polished snow/ice. I had the better of it going
South. Just the climb of Ill Bell from here.

The Northern of the two lage cairns on Ill Bell, the Helvellyn range
over its shoulder.

The Southernmost of the cairns on Ill Bell, still no sun. Windermere Lake
glints from here, on a better day

Looking back at some of the hills I'd climbed earlier. All downhill from here.

Having dropped down to Garburn Pass I followed the track down into
Kentmere. This is Badger Rock much used by climbers for bouldering.
I just had to walk across the valley to the car, of course the sun
reappeared!

No comments:

Post a Comment