Friday 12 June 2015

Over to the Land of the Prince Bishops on the BMW

I had a day out on my motorbike yesterday, it was to hot for walking or cycling...if you have another toy to play with! :-)) So I headed over to my favourite place to ride, the North Pennines. Wonderful quiet open sweeping roads, and lanes with lots of old mine interest.

Just under 20 miles up the M6 and I was onto minor roads. Across Asby fell past sunbiggin Tarn.

Here in Brough i had a snack and was intrigued by these knitted covers for railings!

Over into Teesdale then here across the River Wear near Wolsingham.

A short way up Weardale to Stanhope, home to this fossil tree.

Over Crawleyside to Edmundbyers and along the South side of the Derwent reservoir to Blanchland. A lot of scaffolding in the village...so I took this photo of the church!

Then over to Rookhope and down into Upper Weardale, time wasn't on my side so I missed out on a visit  to the Killhope Wheel this time.

From Nent Head I took the narrow road which follows the old hushes and mine workings down into the South Tyne valley and the pleasant village of Garrigill.

I did stop for tea and cake at Hartside Cafe, a favourite haunt of motorcyclists...and these days cyclists as well. It will be rather busier in September when the Tour of Britain has a stage finish here.

Through the Eden valley, then the climb up onto Orton Scar...it seems to be a good year for Buttercups!

As I reached the edge of Orton Scar the Howgills were laid out before me.
Just a few minutes back down the M6 and I was home, one of the best days I've had on the BMW for a long while. Great weather, Great scenery and a Great bike :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment