Thursday 31 December 2015

Last Outdoor Trip of 2015...Fatbike from Staveley

A last minute change of plan saw me parked in Staveley with only a very rough idea of where I was going. I knew the dry start was forecast to deteriorate into heavy rain round about lunchtime. So just befor 10 I was off riding up the Kentmere valley, taking Browfoot Lane to gain height easily and giving access to the first of the bridleways.

I rode the bridleways through to High Borrans, the last one very muddy. High Borrans reservoir looking very full, no surprise given the rain we've endured.

Dubbs road next, the lure of the view up the Troutbeck valley spurring me on.

This was as far as I would ride up the Garburn Road today, I never tire of this view of the Troutbeck Fells. Its a great downhill from here to Limefitt, the track has suffered some erosion so a bit of care was required. 

A couple more tracks and the long drag up Robin Lane, Windermere looked grey today. The expected front was evident in the distance. The descent to Merewood was very washed out, these tracks will take a long while to repair.

Middlerigg Tarn...private of course. Wain Lane provided both a mud bath lower down and a full width washout further up. No longer possible to ride up I'm afraid....at least by me!

I'd planned to cross the Troutbeck on this bridleway below Town End, but the bridge has gone in the recent floods. So I detoured via Troutbeck, where the rain started right on cue.
I rode up Longmire Lane, the last of the off road the rain pounding down I rode back to Staveley on the road arriving at the car pretty wet.
So last ride of the year, I'd set myself a target of beating last years mileage total...4111 and have managed to notch up 4347 miles. I'm slightly down on ascent though 180,075ft whereas last achieved 187,635.
It's been a difficult year one way and another, but walking and cycling lets the mind wander and forget some of the trials we all face.
Happy New Year to everyone who passes by here, hope you've enjoyed what I've written and the photographs.
 Thanks have a good one :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment